Artificial Kidney Prize Winners
- Genetically Engineered Pig Kidney Xenotransplantation
- MI-TRAM: Smart Module for Implantable, Wearable, Portable or Bed-side Artificial Kidneys
- Xenotransplantation: A treatment for Kidney Failure
- iBAK - Implantable Bio-Artificial Kidney for Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy
- The Wearable AKTIV: Artificial Kidney to Improve Vitality
- Development of a Dialysate-Free Waterless Portable and Implantable Artificial Kidney
COVID-19 Kidney Care Challenge Winners
- Remote Monitoring Platform to Reduce COVID-19 Risk for Hemodialysis Patients
- Free E-Learning Platform with CKD and COVID-19 Patient Education
- Immediate Rooming for Patients
- Canopy: the Next Generation, Reusable Respirator
- Characterizing and Targeting Vaccine Hesitancy Among End-Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) Patients
- COVID-19 in Translation: Making Patient Education Accessible to Minorities
- The 'Good Humoral' Immunity Truck and Freezer Project
- Development of Telemedicine-Enhanced Peritoneal Dialysis Training Protocols During COVID-19
- RenaVis Mixed Reality Telehealth and Telemonitoring System
- Patient-centered Monitoring and Intervention During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Dashboards to Facilitate COVID-19 Disaster Response
- Remote Treatment Monitoring with the Tablo Hemodialysis System
- Dialysis Facility Safety Validation with Rapid COVID-19 Sequencing
- Pool Testing of Used Masks for Timely Diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2
- StockMyPantry: Renal-friendly Grocery Delivery for Kidney Patients
Redesign Dialysis Phase 2 Winners
The following submissions were selected as winners of the Redesign Dialysis Phase 2 prize competition:
- A Bioresorbable Shape Memory Polymer Wrap to Improve Maturation and Patency of Dialysis Access Sites, Timothy Boire, PhD
- A Novel Device to Prevent Infection Due to Touch Contamination in Peritoneal Dialysis, Sarah Lee
- A Pro-Regenerative Vascular Access Graft: Surmounting Challenges Inhibiting Progress, Buddy D. Ratner, PhD
- Intracorporeal Hemodialysis System, Shuvo Roy, PhD
- Developing Self-Renewable "Living" Endothelium Vascular Grafts for Hemodialysis, Aijun Wang, PhD
- Nitric Oxide-Eluting, Disposable Hemodialysis Catheter Cap to Prevent Infection and Thrombosis, Alexander Yevzlin, MD
Patient Innovator Challenge Winners
The following individuals were selected as winners of the KidneyX Patient Innovator Challenge, funded by the National Kidney Foundation. A panel of judges and reviewers selected 10 winners in Category 1 – solutions already tried or put into practice – and 15 winners in Category 2 – ideas for solutions not yet created.Category 1
- Ann Chokas of Great Neck, NY, for designing a smartphone app to monitor blood test results.
- Chris Jaynes of Cardiff-by-the-sea, CA, for creating a way to extend the life of a kidney removed for transplantation to give surgeons more time to access the organ.
- Deepa Kariyawasam of London, England, for creating kidney patient diet booklets geared toward minority cuisine.
- David Kuraguntla of South San Francisco, CA, for creating a device to monitor fluid levels in dialysis patients.
- Sarah Lee of Baltimore, MD, for creating a device that disinfects tubing for peritoneal dialysis.
- Robert Richter of Coconut Creek, FL, for creating a device to help a one-handed veteran administer home dialysis.
- Chelsea Roman of Sacramento, CA, for creating a 3D-printable wrist cuff to secure needles used in home dialysis.
- Lana Schmidt of Liberty, IL, for using a state-funded home aide program to hire someone to help her with home dialysis.
- Deborah Stanzak of Twinsburg, OH, for creating clothing suited for dialysis patients.
- John Vito of Rochester, NY, for creating a video cooking series for end-stage kidney failure patients.
- Brian Bender of Raleigh, NC, for a home-use device in development to track sodium levels in urine.
- Andrew Brookens of Denver, CO, for a proposal to open a home dialysis education center to train patients.
- Chandra Chhun of McDonough, GA, for a proposal to develop an online platform to help home dialysis patients.
- Anthony Clark of Wilmington, DE, for a proposal to create kidney food labels for kidney patients.
- Jaclyn Giannakoulis of Stoughton, MA, to develop a program to rent home dialysis cyclers for patients when they travel.
- Nieltje Gedney of Kearneysville, WV, to develop a toolkit for home dialysis patients to give real-time feedback.
- Varun Goyal of Carmel, IN, to develop an app to help transplant patients keep track of their medicines.
- Lonnie Green of Kennesaw, GA, to develop a peer mentorship program for dialysis patients.
- Mary Lou Hurley of Bloomingdale, NJ, to create a handout about transplants for patients to give to emergency room professionals.
- Daniel Marsh of Baton Rouge, LA, to develop an "open chair" app to help patients find a real-time dialysis center that has an immediate opening.
- Sandeep Padala of Augusta, GA, to develop help from dialysis patients who are released from prison.
- Emmett Smith of Seattle, WA, to develop a device to help with dialysis catheters.
- Ben Studdard of Nashville, TN, to create music videos to teach patients about medical terms.
- Cher Thomas of Galveston, TX, to develop a program to link dentists with patients on the transplant waitlist.
- Joyce Vergili of Kingston, NY, to create a device to monitor blood potassium levels.
Redesign Dialysis Phase 1 Finalists
The following solutions were selected as the Finalists for KidneyX Redesign Dialysis Phase 1 and announced at the Inaugural KidneyX Summit, on April 29-30, 2019:
- An Air Removal System For a Wearable Renal Therapy Device
- A Non-Invasive, Wearable Telehealth Device To Detect Thrombosis And Monitor Vascular Access Health Of Arteriovenous Fistulas And Grafts In Hemodialysis Patients
- Atomically Precise Membranes (APM) for High-Flux and Selective Removal of Blood Toxins
- Building New Kidneys
- Development of a Dialysate-and Cell-Free Renal Replacement Technology
- Development of an Automated Multimodal Sensor to Improve Patient Outcomes in Hemodialysis
- Digitally-delivered Behavior Change Program To Help Patients Delay Dialysis
- Displacer-Enhanced Hemodialysis: Improving The Intradialytic Removal Of Protein-Bound Uremic Toxins Using Binding Competitors
- Drug-Eluting Electrospun Hemodialysis Graft
- Fluo Medical Fistula Monitoring Device
- Intracorporeal Hemodialysis System
- Nitric Oxide-Eluting, Disposable Hemodialysis Catheter Insert to Prevent Infection and Thrombosis
- Smart Sensor-enhanced Needle Guide Reduces Pain and Cost in Clinic
- The Ambulatory Kidney to Improve Vitality (AKTIV)
- Utilizing Optical Interrogation Methods for Early Diagnosis of Peritonitis in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients
Submitted Abstracts from Applicants
All applicants for KidneyX Redesign Dialysis Phase 1 were asked to share an abstract providing an overview of their proposed solution. To view a bundle of the abstracts that we received, please click here.